The Victorian Taxi Association (VTA) has launched the findings of independent research from SGS Economics that has measured the economic, social and environmental contribution of the industry to Victoria.
“The results demonstrate the vital role taxis play in transporting the people of Victoria, as well as the significant contribution the industry makes to the Victorian community, economy and environment,” VTA CEO David Samuel said.
“This research quantifies the significant contributions made by the taxi industry to government revenue, as well as through the collection of GST. This underscores the importance of ensuring a level playing field on which to compete for commercial passenger vehicle service providers.”
“The findings highlight the breadth of the work undertaken by taxis in Victoria and the importance for people beyond the inner city for this service to remain viable and ensure their transport needs are met.”
“Taxis play a particularly important role in supporting the independence and mobility of many Victorians, as well as supporting Melbourne’s reputation as a hub for major sporting and cultural events,” Mr Samuel concluded.
A summary of key findings and infographics demonstrating these findings are provided below.
- The Victorian taxi industry generates $820 million is fare revenue each year
- 17,000 Victorians are engaged in the industry, representing over 40 per cent of jobs within the transport sector
- $260 million is paid to other sections of the economy to cover operating and running costs including fuel, insurance and repairs
- $200 million is provided in taxes to state and federal governments
- 2 million taxi trips are undertaken by elderly and disabled passengers each year as part of the Multi-Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP)
- 600,000 taxi trips are undertaken by veterans arranged by the Department of Veterans Affairs under the Booked Car Scheme in Victoria each year
- Taxis are often the only viable form of public transport in regional and rural areas, helping to achieve social inclusion for those who use the service
- Close to 95 per cent of the Victorian taxi fleet runs on LPG compared to less an 5per cent of all registered Victorian passenger vehicles. Using LPG in place of petrol has been estimated to cut greenhouse gas emissions by over 10 per cent
- 30 per cent of the Victorian taxi fleet uses hybrid vehicles, compared to less an 1per cent of all registered Victorian passenger vehicles