There’s significant upcoming summer works across the Sydney CBD and other Central Sydney areas which will affect the road network. Whether you’re a passenger or a driver, we want you to be as prepared as possible!
What’s happening in the Sydney CBD for New Year’s Eve?
Due to road closures on NYE in the Sydney CBD, taxi ranks will therefore not be operating, with the exception Darling Harbour at Lime Street (eastern side of Darling Harbour).
There will also be a temporary rank on the corner of Elizabeth Street and Nithsdale Lane operating from 9pm – 5am.
Accessible option - nearest drop off zone
If travelling by private vehicle or taxi, the nearest vehicle drop off and pick up zone for WATs is on the corner of Shakespeare Place and Macquarie Street (in front of the Mitchell Library). This is around 600 metres on flat, paved surface from the entry point.
Taxis are in high demand on New Year’s Eve, so please book in advance.
Call 02 8332 0200 or visit zero200.com.au
CBD and Central Sydney road works include:
- South Dowling Street between Flinders and Cleveland streets will be closed southbound from 11pm 25 December 2015 - 9am 3 January 2016 (Note – works between 1 January and 3 January works are contingency dates and will only take place if required). All lanes will be open from 10am 31 December 2015 - 6am 1 January 2016 for New Year’s Eve celebrations.
- Sections of Market Street and Pitt Street will be closed between 1am and 11pm 26 December 2015 to ensure the safety of pedestrians and drivers on Boxing Day. Pitt Street between Park and Market streets will be changed to two-way operation, as will George Street between King and Market streets.
- Alison Road between Cowper and Cook streets will be closed from 6am 28 December - 10am 31 December 2015. Only eastbound traffic will be permitted on Alison Road between Cook and Avoca streets.
- George Street between Essex and King Streets will be temporarily closed from 1am 2 January - 4am 11 January 2016, and from 10pm 15 January - 4am 18 January 2016.
- Lane closures will be in place on Anzac Parade and Alison Road from the week commencing 4 January to 16 January 2016 (subject to traffic network impacts during major events in Moore Park).
Please visit mysydney.nsw.gov.au for the latest information on the upcoming changes across the CBD.
Sydney CBD is the place to be for New Year's Eve (photo courtesy of NSW Government)